Friday, September 19, 2008

Blog #1: Newsletter Reflection

For this activity I decided to work with Second Grade Art. The general Benchmark B is to use the elements and principles of art as a means to express ideas, emotions, and experiences. Specifically, the Second Grade Level Benchmark is to establish and communicate a purpose for creating artworks and identify, select and use art elements and principles to express emotions and produce a variety of visual effects. This newsletter was a great assignment for students to establish a type of learning log and reflect on their ideas and thoughts. It’s a way for students to share what they learned to an audience. With the new Word 2007, it is easier for young students to figure out and create neat projects, like the newsletter. They can even get creative with clip art, shapes, word art, and etc. to produce their own art on the newsletter. The newsletter is like their canvas, just digital, and they are able to express what they want on it. This is another way to show examples of the art elements and principles through those options and construct meaning of the benchmark.

7 comments:

Chris Blakely said...

Kate,

You do a fine job of addressing all aspects of the Blog Prompt, specifically referring to the Benchmark and reflecting on how young students would be able to use Word Processing to construct meaning in this area. - Good Job! - CB

Sarah L Keeler said...

Kate:

Art is an interest of mine as well. Although, my concentration is English. I think there are mnay ways children can be self-expressive through creating a Word document. Self-expression is very important, especially at such a young age. :)

Lavonda Carrington said...

KATE, I THINK YOU DID A GREAT JOB EXPLAINING HOW CHILDREN CAN USE MODERN TECHNOLOGY TO CREATE DIFFERENT CLASSROOM PROJECTS.

KristiHarris88 said...

Kate,
I like how you tried to find fun in the newsletter so that it would keep the students intrest that was really neat and creative.

Derek said...

Kate,

Your newsletter seems like it would be a great idea for kids to express their ideas in there own creative ways. I also used a second grade subject(math) and it wasn't the easiest thing to do, but you did an awesome job.

KKovacs said...

Kate,
I'm sure second graders would love to be able to experiment with the clip art and fun fonts needed to create an art related newsletter! Plus I'm sure they would be fun to grade. You would have quite a variety of things to look at and read I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Very creative. This is a great idea because it also introduces children to a computer at a young age. I'm sure the newsletters would be fun to look at. The children would have a lot of fun with the clip art, fonts, etc...

-Tristan Lysowski